Thursday, July 29, 2010

NEWS ABOUT GRANDMOTHERS' NECKLACE

I AM GRATEFUL TO REPORT THAT THE ERROR IN TIMING HAS BEEN CORRECTED BY THE PUBLISHERS AND GRANDMOTHERS’ NECKLACE IS NOT AVAILABLE ON AMAZON OR BARNES AND NOBLE AT PRESENT. PLEASE CONTINUE TO BUY YOUR COPIES OF THE BOOK FROM OUR GROWING LIST OF SOURCES, INCLUDING THE ON-LINE POSSIBILITIES LISTED at www.valleyartisans.com/grandmothersnecklace.htm

If you live in the area of one of the businesses providing hands-on book-buying opportunities, or are travelling nearby, even if you’ve already bought copies of the book, please consider thanking them on our behalf by dropping in.

The books are selling well. This week, a store called the very next day after placement for a double refill supply. So often, if a person actually starts to read the prose and poetry, then more books are ordered for friends and relatives. GN is that kind of book. Isn't it great that people can actually enjoy the fruits of giving to the Stephen Lewis Foundation by adding to their treasure chest of reading material? One sharp customer had the idea of typing up her own related piece and pasting it into the back of the book, then giving the book as a gift to her granddaughter.

Some tiptoe into the book thinking "poetry?" (twitch, twitch)or,"I don't want to read a pile of soppy, sing-song birthday card verses about grandmothers! Honestly, I only bought this because it will help fight AIDS/HIV." And then, if they actually dare to look, they receive a very pleasant surprise.

One interviewer called it a "bathroom book".
I thought, "What are you saying about our book?"
I discovered that what he meant is what I'd label a "bedside book"; the kind you settle down to savour in small segments before going to sleep.In fact, although the gems are widely varied, it is too rich a collection to be read too many pieces at a time. No stomach ache, no calories, no damage to the teeth, but rich fare, nevertheless.

Sorry for my delay in entries. I've been editing lately (for money, this time, my wallet is happy to say), with no time to blog. I'm also hoping to get some new writing of my own submitted before my second carpal tunnel operation.

I have my own favourites, but I'd be very interested in hearing which stories and poems people liked best in Grandmothers' Necklace, whether serious or amusing, hilarious or poignant.

Thank you for waiting and for reading, you patient souls.

Patricia